Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Not so Deceptive, but Delicious

John Henry does not eat vegetables.  He honestly doesn't like the taste.  He will pick one up, put it in his mouth and then spit it out.  I get worried about my little one not getting the nutrients he needs.Until today that is. I borrowed a book from the library called "Deceptively Delicious" which tells how to puree vegetables and hide them in your kids food.  I have used this book before, unsuccessfully, when I tried to sneak vegetables into Eryn's food when she lived with us ( I even made her homemade chocolate cake with beets in it!, but the girl wouldn't touch it).  Today I made chicken nuggets and hid spinach puree in them.  They turned out not so deceptive. You could totally see the green spinach through the breading and it took Margaret Mary about ten minutes of staring at it before she took a bite.  But, they were totally yummy.

Here's Henry checking them out...


He goes for it! Mommy is holding her breath!


hmmmm...these aren't so bad! The green color was totally misleading!


I'll have another...

and another...

He even asked for seconds!

As the mom, I like to imagine the Halleluiah chorus blasting in John Henry's tiny body.  Blood cells, carrying all the nutrients my son has just consumed, smiling and giving high fives as they float past each other.

For supper I made spaghetti (with carrot puree hidden!) and meatballs (with broccoli hidden!) that tasted wonderful! I don't think my son has ever eaten so many vegetables in one day!  The goal is obviously for him to eat veggies like the rest of us, but for now, I will continue to sneak....

Butternut squash in his grilled cheese tomorrow!


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I cant imagine a child not liking veggies.. I guess I am lucky, HAve you tried green smoothies yet? I add a big handful of raw spinach to all my smoothies and you cant taste it. My kids LOVE them.
You need to get them on Juice plus...I have been a distributor for 15 years.
Love u

Tammy Craig said...

Sounds yummy! On the upside..he doesn't look the least bit undernourished :). He is so cute! I'm just amazed at the changes and developments of his facial features. He so reminds me of Jason!

Becky said...

I struggle with the same thing! One thing we do is make green shakes every morning. I add raw spinach and you would seriously never know it was in there, except for maybe the color. I use blueberries, bananas, spinach, yogurt, orange juice, coconut water or any other liquid or combination of fruits you want. Works like a charm!