Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Our Henry


When he's older, I doubt Henry will like us telling people that he's "sensitive," but that truly is the word to describe him. He needs time to adjust to change, and adjusts very hesitantly, and with a fight. When it first got cold here, Henry COULDN'T STAND being outside. When it got windy, he would scream and scream. When he is sick, or in any kind of pain, he has a hard time coping and becomes super fussy. He still is very picky about who holds him, and he has to be in a good mood to even consider being held by someone other than Mama or Papa. Even as a baby, he had a hard time tuning the world out when it got chaotic. I would have to cover his eyes, nurse, and bounce him on a ball to get him to relax enough to go to sleep. It sounds crazy, but that was Henry. Super sensitive and super aware of his surroundings.



But, we are discovering the other side of sensitive. Henry's super awareness of his surroundings has an extremely sweet spin on it. When he gets corrected, he won't rest until he has reconciled with you, even if it was just a stern "no." He will follow you around and then hug you as if to make up. When Margaret Mary or I am upset, he is by our side hugging us and trying to kiss us. He snuggles non stop when Jason gets home from work and already has formed an amazing relationship with his father. Today he found a pic of Jason, identified him "muh MUH" (how he says papa), and then walked around hugging it. As I said earlier, I have never seen a boy his age have such an amazing awareness of relationships and such an understanding of how they function.



So this sensitivity that is so hard to figure out and plan for, is becoming what we love so much about Henry.




For more about high needs babies and toddlers, read this.

3 comments:

Tammy Craig said...

Your observations so remind me of Jason as a baby... It was so obvious he was special from the moment he was born. We can't wait to see you all soon!

Jane said...

loved hearing an update on Henry! And the picture on Jason's shoulder is a winning photo worthy of professional ratings!
love, Mom

Lisa said...

Aw the joys of raising a high need child. Btdt . As you know felicity was diagnosed at 16 months with sensory processing disorder. She goes to OT once a week and it totally changed our lives ! I regret so much with my oldest because she suffered ....I truely feel she also has SPD. Please research for yourself, talk to your pediatrician about getting a consult with a qualified OT . I had to bounce felicity while nursing to get her to sleep. She would not lay down to nurse until we started OT! There is lots of wonderful info about it. Or call me ;) good for you meeting his needs ....love u