Wednesday, August 24, 2011

John Henry's Buddy

There is no one that John Henry has taken to as well as our dear friend Jimmy Mitchell. Jimmy works with Jason at Fraternus and we had the privilege of hanging out with him the past week at training. We would like to think that John Henry is so attracted to Jimmy because of their shared devotion to Blessed John Henry Newman. Jimmy went to Rome for John Henry Newman's beautification and sent us a text from the ceremony saying he was praying for me and my upcoming labor (we didn't know if I was having a boy or girl yet).

Jason and I knew we would name our baby John Henry (if it was a boy) after we heard a piece about his life on EWTN radio. Newman is a convert, like us, and wrote a beautiful poem when he was stuck at sea trying to get home to England. He was overwhelmed by all the work he had to do (he says he was "sobbing bitterly") and on his last leg of the trip, got stuck at sea for a week. Filled with anxiety and frustration, the Lord's sweet will was his only source of comfort, and soon Newman was filled with a great peace. Thus "Lead Kindly Light" was written:

Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom, lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on.
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I
Have loved long since, and lost awhile!

Meantime, along the narrow rugged path, Thyself hast trod,
Lead, Savior, lead me home in childlike faith, home to my God.
To rest forever after earthly strife
In the calm light of everlasting life.

Jason and I were in tears after hearing this poem for the first time, and we were so excited at the thought of naming our son after Blessed John Henry Newman.

Did I mention that Jimmy Mitchell made sure to include the hymn "Lead Kindly Light" on the new Marian Grace Album, "What Wondrous Love?" No wonder our John Henry loves him!
A man after Blessed John Henry Newman's own heart.

We are sad to say that Jimmy is leaving the Fraternus family to work with Mysterium full time in the next couple of months. You can't really ever leave a family, but it means we will be seeing Jimmy a lot less, unless the radio show he and Jason are planning takes off...

We will miss you Jimmy!

No comments: