Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam!

I just had a feeling it was going to happen soon.  A lot of my gut feelings never come true, but this one did.  There were stories of a bird that had landed on the Chapel roof, and the smoke from the noon voting haddn't shown yet.  I felt the bird was a symbol that the Holy Spirit had rested on the Conclave and that there would be a Pope soon.


When I saw someone's post on facebook that said "white smoke!", I started streaming EWTN live.


 It was really exciting: the white smoke, the bells ringing. I called the kids in and we all watched and got really excited. "We have a Pope! Habemus Papam!"



We were cheering with the crowd, dancing around.  It was a long wait till they announced who the new Pope was.  I threw crayons and paper on the floor to keep the kids quiet so I could listen to the commentary (our computer has quiet speakers).  Friends were texting us; there was such sweet fellowship. Being part of the universal church is so beautiful.  I had to get a shot of me and bubba too...


Henry loved watching the crowds and the guards.  The kids played guard a while while we waited for the announcement. He put his vestments on, he incensed the computer, he took his vestments off.  Here he is watching the coverage contently.


I even had to get a group shot of us. This is a historic day!!! (Jason was at a lunch date with some Catholic guys, so he has a fun story to tell as well). One of my favorite memories was MM yelling, "lets play Pope!" and introducing Henry (who was all decked out in his surplice) as Pope from behind a door. Henry walked in, genuflected...


We are already in love with Pope Francis.  Here is a great quote from him in 2001:
"He who encounters Jesus Christ feels the impulse to witness Him or to give witness of what he has encountered, and this is the Christian calling. To go and give witness. You can’t convince anybody. The encounter occurs. You can prove that God exists, but you will never be able, using the force of persuasion, to make anyone encounter God. This is pure grace. Pure grace. In history, from its very beginning until today, grace always 'primerea', grace always comes first, then comes all the rest."
 Viva el Papa!


  (I did not take the Bird picture, the white smoke picture and Pope picture, obviously). I just inserted them to help tell the story. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Katie! Mat especially loved the part about the computer getting incensed...too cute! ;)

These are great photos of you and the children. It's so nice to see your beautiful faces!

God bless!
Love ~
Melissa