Its been a rough transition. Margaret Mary just wouldn't sleep in the afternoon. She still had to lay in her bed and look at books, but she was being too loud, waking up Henry and making me mad (as I was trying to nap as well). We moved out of the bedroom and instituted the quiet time, aka listening to lullabies and reading books while a tired Mama napped beside her. But nothing can replace the afternoon nap. When she does nap, Margaret Mary is the most kind, agreeable, obedient little girl. But when she doesn't, all hell brakes loose. I didn't know the girl could throw such a tantrum. We know its because she's overtired and adjusting to a new sleep habit, but she basically "looses it" emotionally. On average they last about an hour and consist of her screaming a litany of things she doesn't like or want. Things like "Don't touch me," "this blanket is too soft," "the pack n play is too bumpy," "I don't like the light," I don't like the dark," 'I don't like your name,""get away from me," etc. Its intense. She gets even more mad if you try to help her or to offer her something (like a sippy cup of water or a hug), that she doesn't want. My favorite thing she yells frequently is "I NEED A MAN!" aka, I want papa. The best bet is to put her on the couch, wait until she calms down a little, and then when SHE asks for help, "mama, hold me," or "i can't stop," to move in and hold her.
Jason and I talk a lot about how to love her in these times. My first instinct is to yell at her to stop (embarrassingly enough). But it is obvious she has lost control and couldn't stop even if she wanted to. Not to mention that that reaction would NOT be very loving. I'm learning that this is an adjustment time for us all and that her tantrums are a normal reaction to being out of balance; overtired yet not tired enough. Things are getting better. Quiet times are becoming more of a relaxing time for her and the tantrums are getting shorter.
Margaret Mary finds great comfort in her Papa's arms during these times. He's able to talk to her in a way that I don't know how and can often keep a tantrum from escalating. I love that my little girl feels safe and secure in her Papa's arms and even when she has lost it, knows that she is HIS and knows his love for her. I captured these moments outside the other day. We had a picnic and they were laying together on the blanket...so sweet.
Margaret Mary said the other day while getting ready for bed, "I can't wait to show Papa my pajamas. He thinks I am so beautiful and I think he is so handsome!" My heart melts when she says stuff like this; it's so important in her understanding of her heavenly Father to know the love of her earthly father. She also said she wanted to marry him the other day for the first time. Sweet sweet Papa daughter time.
Before I end this post, I have to say that John Henry has turned into such the Papa's boy. He talks about his Papa all day (says his name over and over again), and only wants Papa to help him when Papa is home. He also signs that he wants to drive every big truck or train he sees. I am enjoying the rest and think that John Henry has chosen the perfect time to really latch-on to his father's love. Come on baby #3!
No comments:
Post a Comment