How are we transitioning to a family of five? At six weeks postpartum, I still don't get a shower every day, but my teeth are brushed and I'm dressed 95% of the time. But in terms of transitions, I would say that it has been easiest for me. I have already had two babies before that like to be held all the time, so Peter's desires (to be held in the sling all the time) are nothing new. I have already had two under two, so the intensities of that challenge are not new. I am used to being outnumbered during the day time and already have lots of tricks up my sleeve to make it work. It's hard work, but its nothing new, and Catholics aren't scared of hard work (it has been redeemed by Christ!). I have had my moments, like the first day I took all three kids out in the car. I parked, got out of the car, opened up the door and saw all their beautiful faces and thought "Crap, how do I get them all out of the car?!?!" But I figured it out. The hardest part has been trying to figure out Peter.
What does he like? How much can he be pushed when its nap time. What does he need to be happy, what overstimulates him, etc. I am happy to say that Peter seems to be mellowing out some and is really becoming a laid back dude. Praise the Lord!!!
But having a third has been easier in other ways. Margaret Mary and Henry play together so well that I am freed up to be with the baby. When Henry was born I had to constantly entertain Margaret Mary; now John Henry and Margaret Mary entertain themselves. The other day I was ordering something on the computer and Margaret Mary and Henry ran out of the bedroom giggling holding a blanket; Henry holding the front and MM holding the back. "What are you guys doing?" I asked. "Building a fort," MM yelled back as they ran into the living room. Too sweet.
I would say the transition has been hardest on Papa and the kids. There aren't enough parents for each child, so often MM will see Henry and Peter being held and exclaim "someone is not holding me" and then get sad about it. It has been hard on Henry cause he has to share mama now, and it has been hard on Papa cause he is outnumbered now. Before when everyone was home, he just had to deal with MM wallowing all over him. Now, there are two kids who want his attention. But, he handles it like a champ and I am so thankful to have such a talented, hands-on husband. The kids really love Peter. They fight over who gets to hold him next and get jealous when Peter looks at one of them longer than the other one. Peter thinks Henry is hilarious and drops smiles like crazy when Henry is in his face.
I have talked about Peter being fussy but he really is a sweetheart. He LOVES to cuddle and thrives on touch. When he is fussing in the car seat, I just have to reach back and hold onto his hand to calm him down. After reading this, I can see why he feels at peace being on my chest all day. I love holding him; it feels so right. Yes, its hard at the end of the day when I ache, but it feels so right having him close when most of my energy is concentrated on keeping the big kids directed, safe and playing. I love the below picture of me. Yes, its cluttered, but it says so much. Me with the camera, Peter asleep in the sling, a half finished vacuum job in the background, our home altar....my life.
I will drink it in!
No comments:
Post a Comment