Saturday, May 19, 2012

Her First Ballet Class




This morning Margaret Mary went to her first ballet class! It was so exciting.Yesterday we went to the local dance store and bought her things. As we were picking things out she said "This is an amazing day!"

She woke up this morning and ate all her breakfast because she wanted to have "enough energy for her dance class."  (I have to note that she has been begging for dance classes since she could talk. The girl LOVES to dance and spends 90% of the day dancing and singing). She carried around her little ballet bag with her leotard, tights, shoes and ballet skirt all morning and kept on asking if it was time to go yet.  She was all smiles getting dressed.

 
 
 

When I showed her how she looked in the mirror she said "OH WOW!"  (See her tiptoes in the bottom picture?)


At the dance studio, she sat a little nervously as all the big girls came in giggling in their ballet clothes.  Jason and Henry said goodbye and went to go have some boy time while MM and I made small talk with all the other moms and little girls waiting.  When her teacher came out she introduced herself to us and tried to take Margaret Mary's hand. This was the big moment - would she be too shy to really do it or would she join the class?  MM jerked her hand away, scooted close to me, and then as if she remembered she would have to be brave if she was going to be ballerina, reached out for the teacher's hand and followed her back to the studio. I was so proud! As this was the first class, I was allowed to go back too and watch (no pictures, sorry).


It was too cute. MM did REALLY well listening to the teacher and imitating all the dance moves. She stretched, plied, releved, danced on her tiptoes, skipped, hopped on one foot, and even finished up the class with some tap lessons (at which she did really well!). I was really impressed with MM's dancing ability! We didn't have any tap shoes for her yet, but we will def have to be on the lookout for some! My favorite part of the class was when she broke away from what they were doing, ran over to me and gave me a big kiss and then joined back in class.  It was a 3 year old way to say thank you.

When class was over, we went back out to the waiting room where Jason and Henry were waiting.  Margaret Mary told us "I tried really hard!" She really did so well.  We went to get pizza afterward to celebrate her first dance class and Margaret Mary ate sooooo much. We were shocked! 

(MM bowing)

Before I could ask her if she wanted to come back, she exclaimed "I want to come back here!" So sweet.

Thank you Papa for working so hard to provide things like this for our family. Ballet lessons aren't cheap, but I think provide invaluable instruction in gracefulness, beauty and poise (things very important for a little girl to have.) Plus, it is just so much fun!


2 comments:

chris said...

What a beautiful story! A delight to read, and to remember.

Tammy Craig said...

Really great photos and Love the words leading up to MM's excitement. She will probably teach that entire class more about grace than they will learn a lifetime :). She already has such a sweet heart. I can't wait to see her show me some of her ballet steps.