We woke up Saturday morning to about six inches of snow with it still falling strong. Our roads weren't plowed yet and everything looked beautiful. Then we realized our fridge was empty and Jason would need to make a run to the grocery store before the snow got even heavier. While he got ready to go out, I was pondering two things: if the grocery would even be open and when I would get the email that a Christmas Cookie Exchange Party I was planing to attend was canceled. I was even snacking heavily on the big batch of cookies I had made the night before.
Jason left and came back with food. The store was open AND I never got my cancellation email. I quickly contacted a friend an hour before the party and she confirmed what I feared: this is just a normal day for locals. Locals know how to drive with major snow on the road. Nothing shuts down and the roads are just as crowded as on a normal sunny day. So we went to my party (I was too scared to drive so Jason dropped me off). We drove slower and Jason had to prepare me for sliding around a little on the road. We even got rear ended because the guy behind us couldn't stop in time. But that's normal for a snowy day here. AND its supposed to snow again tonight and tomorrow. I just learned that March is the biggest snow month here in Denver and sometimes they get FEET of snow. I have yet to learn how big a snow has to be before everything shuts down, parties get canceled and people are too scared to drive. Kinda scares me. Especially since I have will have weekly midwife appointments during the month of March. Will I feel safe driving in the snow then? Not sure.
We are also learning how sensitive Henry is to the cold. We saw this a little in St. Augustine, but it is obvious here. He can not stand being cold and will completely melt down and not stop until he is warm again. Finding appropriate clothes for him has been hard because he walks so well for his age. Most things his size are still big tick suits, but that frustrates him cause he can't move. We just broke down and bought him a toddler snow suit from REI that is super warm and yet movable. We will let you know how it works out.
Which brings me to my next point. We are learning that in the fall, you need to always have handy a good sweater and a good jacket for layering. In the winter, with snow on the ground its different. If you are going to be outside for any length of time, you need to dress normally (what you would feel comfortable inside), and then have a snow suit on top of it. No other kind of layers gives you the right warmth and waterproof-ness for playing and being out in the snow. This is a little tricky when trying to be thrifty. Jason has snow boots but no snow bib. I don't have snow boots or a snow bib. We are searching thrift stores constantly, but these items are in high demand. Add trying to find a snow bib that allows for a big pregnant belly and a jacket that zips up OVER a big pregnant belly and you have another issue.
We are learning a lot. It is challenging, but also really fun. We are learning how to walk safely (aka like a duck) on snowy ice with normal dress shoes on. We are learning that car doors commonly freeze shut (and what to do about it). I am receiving lessons from my stellar husband how to drive in the snow. We still love it here, but man is it different than what we are used to.
1 comment:
You are a brave woman! I'll keep me 70 degree weather, and you can brave the snow! :)
Post a Comment