Sunday, May 2, 2010

Our First Glimpses of Baby Craig #2

Last week, Jason, Margaret Mary and I went in for my five month ultrasound. We were so excited as we had not seen our baby yet on ultrasound. (Because MM came after our battle with infertility, we had an ultrasound at 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 20 weeks, etc.) The experience was very disappointing. When the ultrasound tech called my name in the waiting room, she looked really nervous and seemed to be scolding the receptionist. She explained to us that kids under 10 aren't allowed to go back, and that no one on staff was allowed to watch our daughter; aka, Jason had to stay in the waiting room with Margaret Mary while I went back by myself. Jason and I were frustrated, but I went in by myself and had a very impersonal experience with the ultrasound technician. "Here is the kidney, check, here is the hand, check." There was no awing over my babies fingers or toes or sweet exchanges between Jason and I as we got the first glimpse of our baby. The ultrasound tech allowed Jason and Margaret Mary to come in the last five minutes of the ultrasound, but it wasn't the same. She gave us a disk of the images and sent us home.

When we got home, I popped in the disk to discover the HORRIBLE quality of the ultrasound photos. They are very grainy and there are NO good pics of the baby's profile (the classic ultrasound shot). We have GREAT shots of MM in my womb via ultrasound photos, so it makes the experience all the more frustrating!

Among all the frustration and chaos, one sweet thing did happen. Margaret Mary, when she came in with Jason, started waving to the image of our baby on the ultrasound monitor, and right as she did this, the baby lifted up his/her hand and "waved" back. Jason and I pray daily that our little babies will be good friends and so it was very sweet to see this little exchange between them. Margaret Mary has really taken to baby Alyssa (Eryn's baby) and loves to watch her, grab/scratch her hand, and help burb her (aka, hit her back). She found a babydoll the other day at a friends house and started hugging it and swaying back and forth; I thought by heart was going to burst out of my chest! Margaret Mary is going to be such a sweet and loving big sister!


(Baby waving to MM!)

No comments: